The IEA 4E Implementing Agreement has published the report Energy efficiency roadmap for electric motors and motor systems.
The report assesses current status and trends in the market, standards and the policy environment for energy efficient electric motors and variable frequency drives.
It outlines a roadmap for policy makers with the following key areas for consideration:
- Set IE3 Premium Efficiency level for motors as global target for Minimum Energy Performance Standards (MEPS) before 2020
- Expand MEPS to cover variable frequency drives (VFD) and motors plus VFD
- Expand the coverage of existing regulations in line with the IEC 60034-30-1 standard to include motors with an output power from 0.12 kW to 1000 kW
- Adopt IE4 level as MEPS in major industrial economies after 2020
- Improve international alignment of frame sizes and their respective efficiencies
- Promote technologically neutral policies to eliminate inefficient and outdated technologies
- Reinforce policy-makers’ involvement in standardization