In 2020, 4E commenced work on a second project that builds on the previous study and work undertaken in a number of regions to develop load-based testing regimes for air conditioners and heat pumps.
The new project will comprise detailed research into issues relating to the testing of variable capacity domestic room air conditioners, including a round robin amongst laboratories selected by 4E countries.
The project will run from September 2020 to mid-2022.
Webinar on Test Methods for Residential Air Conditioners, June 2020
This webinar held jointly with the IEA and SEAD provided an overview of the findings of the 4E Report (below). Speakers from the USA, Canada and Europe explain government initiatives in the testing of inverter AC performance and related government policies. A speaker from a major air conditioner manufacturer also provided insights into problems caused by the lack harmonisation in test methods.
The details and presentations can be found here, including a video of the full webinar
The first 4E Air Conditioner Project comprised:
- A detailed review of test methods for room air conditioners in the different 4E economies, and the implication of any differences.
- Identifying the efficiency metrics used in these economies, explaining what they show and how they are calculated.
- Identifying opportunities to improve international alignment.
- A highlight of issues around the testing of variable capacity air conditioners.
The study was conducted by the Cadeo Group between July and December 2019.
The Final Report can be downloaded here – “Domestic Air Conditioner Test Standards and Harmonization”
Workshop & Webinar
Opportunities for Improving Cooling Efficiency
Following is the Agenda and Presentations given at the 4E Cooling Workshop in China, March 29, 2019, detailing current status and development trend in policy, standards, industry, technology, etc, by country.
A webinar on Test Methods for Residential Air Conditioners was held on 30 June 2020. Discussion was based on new developments in the testing of inverter AC performance and the relationship to government policies in the USA, Canada and Europe. The details and presentations can be found below, including a video of the full webinar.
- Youtube Video
- Residential Test Methods for Air Conditioners The Importance of Robust Test Methods for Energy Efficiency – Presented By John Cymbalsky, US Department of Energy
- Domestic Air Conditioner Test Standards and Harmonization: Summary of Findings – Jessica DeWitt, Cadeo Group
- Summary of the development activities in the EU for testing residential air conditioners – Veerle Beelaerts, EC (DG Energy)
- Variable Refrigerant Flow Test Procedure Developments: Connecting Dynamic and Steady-State Tests – Catherine Rivest, US Department of Energy
- The Canadian Perspective: Test Methods for Residential Air Conditioners (and Heat Pumps) – Kim Curran, Natural Resources Canada
- Residential Test Methods for Air Conditioners: Benefits and Challenges of International Alignment – Rusty Tharp, Goodman Manufacturing Company (Daikin Group)
- Webinar Closing