The interoperability of connected devices can hamper the effectiveness of the digitalisation of the energy system. The objective of this task is to study the issue of (a lack of) device interoperability and the resultant impact of this on digitalisation. Specifically the task aims to answer the following questions:
- What is a suitable definition for interoperability?
- What is the scope of the problem? To what extend does lack of interoperability limit IE and DF (currently and potentially into the future)?
- What are the causes of a lack of interoperability?
- To what extent do “closed” proprietary device ecosystems limit interoperability? What are the commercial drivers for proprietary device ecosystems? What would be the commercial impacts if ecosystems were required to be “open”?
- What standardisation efforts are underway and where are the gaps?
- What are the implications for (government) policy makers?
A report is expected in mid 2022.