The purpose of this topic is to examine the potential to make “dumb” devices into “smart” devices. In other words, to retrofit connectivity to in-situ consumer devices which currently are not network connected, so that they may become available to participate in intelligent efficiency and demand response initiatives.
Various products will be examined, for example:
- Smart plugs / smart power boards.
- Smart wall / switchboard switches.
- Use of IR remote control signals to control dumb devices.
- Use of existing device ports to control devices, e.g. HDMI, USB.
- Wireless button-pushers.
- Retrofitting of internal relays, etc.
A report was published in 2021.